BRATTLEBORO, Vt. — Fire officials say a Vermont motel fire was caused by a cat that knocked over a lit candle.

The Brattleboro Reformer reports (http://bit.ly/2fovChj ) several fire departments responded to the blaze at Molly Stark Motel in Brattleboro Thursday morning.

Crews were able to get the second alarm fire under control by noon.

One woman who was staying at the motel has been hospitalized for smoke inhalation, and three cats died.

Motel owner Terry Bonnette says there were between 25 and 28 guests staying at the motel. He says the front of the building likely suffered heavy damage.


Information from: Brattleboro Reformer, http://www.reformer.com/

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.