RALEIGH, N.C. — There will be no criminal charges pursued against five North Carolina State players amid an investigation into allegations of sexual assault, a district attorney says.
Local news outlets report Wake County District Attorney Lorrin Freeman said in a Friday statement that a review of the evidence doesn’t support going ahead with criminal prosecution.
The five players were freshmen. Two were dismissed from the team last month and three were suspended.
At the time, the school issued a statement saying the players were disciplined for violating athletics department and team rules pertaining to marijuana and alcohol. Those violations were discovered during the investigation by university police into sexual-assault allegations from a campus party in July.
Athletic director Debbie Yow said the disciplinary actions were “not regarding allegations of sexual assault.”
Kevince Brown and Antoine Thompson were dismissed from the team, and Yow said they were no longer enrolled in school. The team suspended Erin Collins, Xavier Lyas and Isaiah Moore, while Yow said they also faced “other discipline.”
University Police Chief Jack Moorman said last month that the party took place at the residence of a football player whom he didn’t identify. He said “under a dozen” people attended and that there were “three sexual-assault complainants” but didn’t reveal many specific details of the investigation.
The school has also said it is conducting a Title IX investigation into whether anyone violated the code of student conduct.