LINCOLN, Neb. — Authorities say a 93-year-old man pulled from a Lincoln house fire earlier this week remains in critical condition at a hospital Friday.

The Lincoln Journal Star reports that Pierre Pettinger remains in a coma.

Police say he was found in a first-floor room after 6:30 a.m. Thursday, after firefighters had been called to the house for a fire. Pettinger was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries.

Another person also was in the home at the time of the fire and suffered less serious injuries.

Fire Investigator Damon Robbins says a power strip overheated and items on top of it caught fire. He says smoke and heat damage will likely render the two-story house a total loss.

Robbins says the home’s only smoke detector wasn’t working.


Information from: Lincoln Journal Star, http://www.journalstar.com

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.