Electrical fire damages local home

An accidental electrical fire damaged a Columbus house, fire investigators said.

Columbus Fire Department responded to a call of a fire at 542 N. Gladstone Ave. at 3:55 p.m. after the homeowner smelled smoke in the kitchen and called 911, said Capt. Mike Wilson, spokesman for the fire department.

Columbus Police Department was first to arrive at the scene and reported light smoke. When firefighters arrived they found a small fire behind the kitchen stove, which was extinguished quickly, Wilson said. No injuries occurred.

The monetary damage amount is undetermined, Wilson said.

Firefighters isolated the electrical wiring that led to the fire and power was restored to the home, which will allow the family to stay in the rented home, Wilson said.

The Salvation Army responded to the scene and spoke with the family — two adults and an 11-year-old child — about assistance.