PORTLAND, Maine — The Latest on Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke’s recommendation for Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument (all times local):

5 p.m.

An environmental group is warning that any effort to allow commercial logging on the Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument would “almost certainly” trigger a lawsuit.

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke says he wants to allow trees to be cut on parts of the land and to ensure that “traditional uses” like snowmobiling and hunting are taken into account. But it’s unclear what he meant when he referred to “active timber management” in a memo.

Lisa Polhmann of the Natural Resources Council of Maine said only 100 of 260,000 public comments during Trump’s review opposed the monument, and fewer still supported logging.

She says it’s a “gross distortion of the record” for Zinke to suggest that “there are still concerns” that there would be no tree-cutting on the property.


2 p.m.

Republican Rep. Bruce Poliquin of Maine says Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke “strikes the right balance” in his recommendation for the Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument.

Zinke wants to allow trees to be cut on parts of the land and to ensure that “traditional uses” like snowmobiling and hunting are taken into account.

His recommendations are included in a memo sent to the president last month and leaked to news organizations, including The Associated Press.

President Donald Trump, who ordered a review of monuments, will have the final say.

Lucas St. Clair, whose family donated the land, said Monday that he fears that the recommendation could negate compromises that took years to negotiate. Deeds already allow some hunting, and there are 32 miles of snowmobile trails.


12:05 p.m.

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke wants to allow trees to be cut on parts of the Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument and to ensure that “traditional uses” like snowmobiling and hunting are taken into account in the management plan.

His recommendations including “active timber management” are included in a memo to President Donald Trump, who will have the final say.

Lucas St. Clair, whose family donated the land, said Monday he’s happy the recommendation would keep the land intact, but he’s disappointed that it could negate compromises that took years to negotiate. Deeds allow some hunting, and there are 32 miles of snowmobile trails.

Trump ordered the review of national monuments earlier this year. The memo obtained by The Associated Press was first reported by the Wall Street Journal.