CLINTON, Conn. — Police in Connecticut say a man severely burned in a mobile home explosion has died, while his wife remains hospitalized in serious condition.

Clinton police said Friday that 64-year-old Leo Hinkley died at Bridgeport Hospital from the injuries he suffered Thursday when the mobile home exploded. His 61-year-old wife, Candace, is being treated at the same hospital.

Authorities say the cause of the blast remains under investigation, but preliminary results indicated it wasn’t due to equipment or mechanical malfunctions. Police previously said they determined the explosion was not caused by a propane tank.

Firefighters say the home was destroyed when they arrived, but they were able to pull the couple out of the debris.

Neighbors said the blast shook their homes, and people miles away reported hearing it.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.