BARRE, Vt. — Firefighters in Vermont say an alert neighbor risked his own safety to awaken tenants in a two-story apartment building to a fire that was spreading.

Firefighters in the town of Barre say the actions of 40-year-old Jeremy Dunster helped in evacuating everyone safely early Wednesday.

The American Red Cross says it’s assisting 10 people displaced by the fire, which also caused some damage to nearby buildings.

Firefighters believe the fire was accidental and that the likely cause was the improper disposal of smoking materials.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.