PARIS — The Latest on Sunday’s knife attack at Marseille’s main rail station (all times local):

6:05 p.m.

An official says a fourth person has been detained by French officers investigating the knife attack in which a Tunisian national fatally stabbed two young women in the southern port of Marseille.

The same judicial official had earlier said that three people were put in custody in suspicion of a criminal terrorist association and that several locations were searched in the probe.


5:55 p.m.

An official says three people have been detained by French officers investigating the knife attack in which a Tunisian national fatally stabbed two young women in the southern port of Marseille.

A judicial official said Tuesday that the three were put in custody in suspicion of a criminal terrorist association and that several locations were searched in the probe.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity under internal rules, wouldn’t give more details.

The attacker, who had lived in Italy, was killed by soldiers after Sunday’s stabbings, which were claimed by the Islamic State group. He has been identified in the Italian media as Ahmed Hanachi.

—By Philippe Sotto


1:20 p.m.

France’s interior minister says the man who fatally stabbed two young women in Marseille appears to be a Tunisian who had lived in Italy.

Interior Minister Gerard Collomb said on France-Inter radio Tuesday that the assailant had Italian residency and a valid Tunisian passport. The attacker was killed by soldiers after Sunday’s stabbings, which were claimed by the Islamic State group.

Collomb urged more information-sharing among governments about such cases.

The Paris prosecutor said one of the seven IDs the attacker used in previous encounters with French police was a Tunisian passport identifying him as Ahmed H.

Italian newspapers reported Tuesday that Italian anti-terrorism police are investigating whether the Marseille attacker had links to Tunisians involved in other European attacks who had stayed in the same area of Italy.