JACKSON, Miss. — The Mississippi fire marshal is closing a public library in the capital city because inspectors found fire code violations.

State Insurance Commissioner Mike Chaney doubles as the fire marshal. He said Thursday that inspectors went to the Eudora Welty Library in downtown Jackson on Wednesday and found problems.

The same library has been plagued the past few months by black mold caused by a leaky roof.

Chaney says his staff is working with officials from Hinds County and the city of Jackson. He says the library will remain closed until the fire code violations are fixed.

The Jackson-Hinds Library System has 15 libraries. One of them a few miles from downtown is already closed because of mold problems.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.