CHARLESTON, S.C. — A South Carolina man has died after firefighters pulled him from an apartment fire.

Charleston Fire Marshal Mike Jaluzadeh says firefighters who extinguished the blaze about 2:30 a.m. Sunday found a man unconscious in a bedroom. The unidentified man died at a local hospital.

An initial investigation shows the fire started at the kitchen stove, which was likely on, and spread to the cabinets, filling the apartment with smoke.

Investigators do not know whether the victim was cooking and left the kitchen or whether he’d forgotten to turn the stove off.

Julazadeh says the three-story building did not have a sprinkler system.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.