The 34th annual Ethnic Expo will be held Friday and Saturday, when thousands of people will descend upon Second and Washington streets in downtown Columbus for the rain-or-shine festival.
1) Expo opens at 11:30 a.m. today, with food booths serving lunchtime customers and the Indy Polkamotion group strolling the grounds, with activities running through 11 p.m.; Saturday’s schedule begins with the 11 a.m. parade, followed by activities on the grounds from noon to 10 p.m.
2) You can try or buy something out of the ordinary, with 30 food booths featuring international specialties and 14 bazaar vendors with merchandise for sale.
3) This year’s festival will have a German flair, with Germany serving as host country. The mayor of Loehne, Germany, Columbus’ sister city, will serve as grand marshal of the Ethnic Expo parade.
Story continues below gallery
4) Today’s featured musical entertainment is the Jay Fox Band, playing German and other musical styles on the First Street Stage, 8 to 9 p.m.; Saturday’s featured music comes from Velvet Caravan, performing Gypsy jazz on the City Hall Plaza, 6 to 7:30 p.m.
5) What else? Children’s activities both days at First and Washington Streets; valet bike parking, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday on west side of Washington between Second and Third streets; private breastfeeding area for nursing mothers. Fireworks at 9 p.m. Saturday. More information: Visit ethnicexpo.org