LINCOLN, Neb. — Authorities say a fire that destroyed an apartment building in northern Lincoln was likely started by a cigarette carelessly tossed outside the building.

The blaze at the Black Sand Apartment Homes was reported around 5 a.m. Wednesday, and more than a dozen firetrucks eventually were dispatched as flames leaped from the roof.

Officials say the fire caused $2.5 million in damage and displaced more than 50 people living in the 30-unit building.

No residents were injured, but two firefighters suffered minor injuries while fighting the blaze.

The fire was brought under control by 6:15 a.m.

Firefighters say the apartments were equipped with water sprinklers, but none were located in the area where the fire started, allowing the fire to grow.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.