Orchids to …
• war hero John McCain for his description of Trumpism: “Half-baked, spurious nationalism cooked up by people who would rather find scapegoats than solve problems.”
• Coach Bob Gaddis and the Olympian football coaches for being great role models for student-athletes while building a winning tradition.
• Seth at Disc Replay for awesome customer service.
• Kenneth Landreth on his wonderful letter about the American flag, which brought tears to my eyes.
• the people of Columbus who politely open doors, offer help with packages and always have a smile and kind word to the elderly and/or handicapped.
• Joanne and Roger Thayer and the Columbus Silgas crew for going beyond the call of duty Tuesday to remove our gas tank on 265 North.
• the Columbus Corvette Club for their excellent attendance at the Ethnic Expo parade.
• Denny Stanley for winning the men’s golf tournament at Greenbelt Golf in Columbus, from Jerry and all your other golf buddies.
• Hubler Honda in Columbus and Greg for hooking up my phone in my car, from Carol.
Onions to …
• the high school football player who took a knee instead of standing during the national anthem prior to the game.
• the store that only has self-checkout lanes open late at night.
• officials who took a perfectly good paved road and then stripped off the blacktop after less than two months.
• whoever set the 5 p.m. start time for trick-or-treating, because a lot of folks aren’t off work yet.
• the person in the red car that stopped suddenly on the 25th Street bridge, almost causing a chain-reaction accident.
• anyone who refers to a embarrassing physical altercation between two grown men as a “hiccup.”
• Columbus North coaches who got into a sidelines fight for failing to set a good example for the community.
• school officials who decided a one-game suspension was enough punishment for the coaches who fought on the sidelines.
• anyone who does not understand that any member of the armed forces is expected to give their life if needed.
• the driver pulling onto 25th Street on Monday night, going fast and almost hitting the car of an elderly, handicapped driver, who ran a red light by mistake.
• the medical office where members of the management team wear strong perfume or cologne, knowing that it may irritate or bother people.
Happy Birthday to …
• Linda Ruble, from Bethel Baptist Church.
• Alexis Spencer.
• Gary Moody, from your family and Donna.
• Maria Pardue, from Max and Janet.
• Steve Garrison from friends at the Moravian Church.
• Paul Kidwell, from friends at the Moravian Church.
• Anne Reinell, from friends at the Moravian Church.
• Polly Trotter, from friends at the Moravian Church.
• Will Trotter, from friends at the Moravian Church.
• Jordan Lopez.
• Lee Phayer.
Happy Birthday to …
• Nathan Simmonds, from Mom and Mike.
• Cheryl Placek, from your loving husband Ron.
Happy Anniversary to …
• David and Becky Turpin, from your family.
• my wife Wendy Zapfe, on Oct. 19, from her husband of 32 years, Richard Zapfe.