JACKSON, Tenn. — Authorities say a retired firefighter has died in a house fire in Tennessee.

Madison County Fire Department Chief Eric Turner told the Jackson Sun that 72-year-old Joe Collins was killed in a house fire on Monday morning. Collins was a retired Jackson firefighter who had lived in the home for over 30 years.

Turner says the department received a call around 6 a.m., and that firefighters located the victim during a primary search of the home.

Officials believe the fire was caused by an electrical failure of a multi-plug outlet located in the living room.

Investigators confirmed that the home was equipped with a working smoke alarm. Officials say there was no indication of foul play and all information leans toward an accidental fire.

Information from: The Jackson Sun, http://www.jacksonsun.com

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.