BRAINTREE, Mass. — Officials say more than two dozen students at a Massachusetts high school were taken to hospitals due to possible exposure to chemicals from a cleaning solution.

East Middle School Principal John Sheehan told parents a solution used to clean ovens wasn’t fully drained before the oven was turned on Monday morning.

Sheehan says the fire department was called to the Braintree school because of the smell. Several students complained of eye irritation.

Officials say 25 students and a worker were taken to hospitals out of an abundance of caution. They are OK and are being released.

Sheehan says health and fire officials have deemed the building safe.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.