ARTHUR, N.D. — Authorities say an electrical malfunction probably caused the fire that destroyed a popular dance barn in eastern North Dakota last week.

The Cass County Sheriff’s Office says the fire started on the ground level of Arthur’s Barn near the electrical junction box.

The sheriff’s office and the state fire marshal’s office on Tuesday identified the probable cause of the fire that destroyed the venue formerly known as Johnson’s Barn.

Firefighters from Gardner, Arthur, Hunter and Grandin responded to the blaze Thursday afternoon. No one was hurt.

The barn hosted hundreds of events through the years.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.