Unattended cigarette damages River Stone Apartments patio

COLUMBUS, Ind. — A burning cigarette placed by a tenant on a cardboard box ignited a patio fire at River Stone Apartments that caused about $3,000 in damage, firefighters said.

The Columbus Fire Department was called at 3:07 p.m. Wednesday to 3460 Limestone Lane, where the fire was reported on a second-floor patio deck, said Capt. Michael Wilson, fire department spokesman.

Firefighters arrived on the scene to find a smoldering wooden patio deck and melted vinyl siding outside the second floor apartment, Wilson said.

Firefighters also found that a third-floor sprinkler head had activated and was still flowing water on the smoldering materials below, Wilson said. Fire also damaged the bottom of the third-floor wooden patio decking, he said.

Firefighters had the fire under control within minutes of arrival, Wilson said.

Read more details in Friday’s print edition of The Republic.

Author photo
Tom Jekel is editor of The Republic. He can be reached at tjekel@therepublic.com or 812-379-5665.