WASHINGTON — Authorities say nine residents of a Washington boardinghouse have been treated for severe carbon monoxide exposure.

News outlets report the D.C. Fire Department says eight occupants of the three-story dwelling in northwest D.C. were transported to a hospital Sunday morning, while a ninth person took themselves to the hospital. DCFD Captain Mark St. Laurent said the occupants experienced flu-like symptoms.

St. Laurent says fire officials found a faulty furnace in the basement of the boardinghouse.

Officials said the occupants have since been released from the hospital.

This is the second major carbon monoxide-related incident in the city in recent days, after fire officials say a six-story apartment building in northwest D.C. was evacuated Nov. 9.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.