HONOLULU — A private school in Honolulu has fired its band director amid allegations that he sexually assaulted a teenage girl.

Former Damien Memorial School band director Peter John Rucci was charged Saturday with three counts of first-degree sexual assault and four counts of third-degree sexual assault. He was arrested, but released after posting $150,000 bail.

The 61-year-old Rucci told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser that his arrest “was a complete surprise.” He said he knows the alleged victim, but referred further comments to his attorney, who did not immediately return a message for comment.

Police said the alleged sexual assaults occurred in June, before Rucci was hired at Damien in August.

A school spokesman said the alleged assault did not involve any Damien students.

“Upon hearing the news, Damien has terminated Peter Rucci, effective immediately,” Damien President and CEO Wes Reber Porter said in a statement. “Based upon the dates of the allegations, the conduct occurred before his few months of employment with the school.”

Rucci said he began teaching at Honolulu Waldorf School in 2000 and was the school’s orchestra director until earlier this year when he left on good terms to be band director at Damien. He said he transferred to Damien because the school offered him better employment opportunities and more hours.

Rucci was also the band director at Le Jardin Academy in Kailua this year, working on the middle school and high school campuses, according to a school newsletter.

The administration for Honolulu Waldorf School and Le Jardin Academy could not immediately be reached for comment.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.