LAS VEGAS — The union that represents hospitality workers says it will scrutinize whether MGM Resorts International followed the appropriate procedures when it cut the work hours of several employees at its Mandalay Bay casino-hotel following the Oct. 1 shooting.

The Culinary Workers Union tells the Las Vegas Review-Journal it is working with affected individuals. Spokeswoman Bethany Khan says contracts have seniority language that ensures “that when business improves, workers will return to work by seniority.”

MGM last week put several Mandalay Bay employees in a reserve list that does not guarantee them any shifts per week.

MGM CEO Jim Murren earlier this month told investors Mandalay Bay saw an increase in cancellations immediately after a man unleashed gunfire onto a crowd from one of the hotel’s 32nd-floor suites.

Spokeswoman Debra DeShong says MGM is “working to minimize” the impact on employees.


Information from: Las Vegas Review-Journal, http://www.lvrj.com

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.