Columbus firefighters worked with Vectren Energy employees to stop a gas leak in Candlelight Village.

Firefighters were sent to a gas odor investigation in the 2800 block of Rosewood Lane at 10:54 a.m. Thursday after a report of a possible leak, said Capt. Mike Wilson, Columbus Fire Department spokesman.

Firefighters and Vectren employees determined the leak happened when Candlelight Village maintenance staff were preparing a new home for utility connections, Wilson said. Maintenance crews were using a trenching machine to buy electrical service lines between the new home and the electrical service panel when the trencher struck a buried gas line, Wilson said.

The maintenance staff called 911 and evacuated one home closest to the gas leak, Wilson said. Firefighters closed the street to keep vehicles away.

Vectren determined the leak was coming from a 1-inch gas line that supplied four homes, Wilson said. Vectren workers dug about 20 inches down to locate the gas line and capped it, repairing the line quickly so service to other homes was not disrupted.

Vectren confirmed that the utility location survey was completed before work at the site.

For more on this story, see Friday’s Republic.

Author photo
Julie McClure is assistant managing editor of The Republic. She can be reached at jmcclure@therepublic.com or (812) 379-5631.