STRATFORD, Conn. — Police say a man is dead after a fire destroyed his Connecticut home over the weekend.

Stratford Fire Marshal Brian Lampart says James Boss was alone at the residence that caught fire Saturday evening. The Connecticut Post reports fire crews found Boss dead in his second floor bedroom after the flames were extinguished.

Investigators are working to determine whether he died from smoke inhalation or burns.

Lampart says Boss lived with his wife and son, who were with relatives the night of the fire.

The Connecticut State Police Fire and Explosion Investigation Unit are investigating, but Lampart says foul play is not suspected.

Information from: Connecticut Post,

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.