Orchids to …
• those who braved the cold on Thursday to deliver meals to home-bound people for Thanksgiving.
• Doug Showalter for his many superb articles over the years, and to those who encouraged and helped him, such as John Harmon, from Bob Valek.
• the kind neighbor in Shadow Creek for rescuing the abandoned dog.
• all persons who helped the disabled during the Thanksgiving season.
• Doug Showalter for the many years of great articles which were so much fun — good luck on your retirement.
• The Republic for the Thanksgiving Day “Mother Goose & Grimm” comic.
• Roger, who brought me two wonderful Thanksgiving dinners.
• Lincoln-Central Neighborhood Family Center and First Christian Church for making a well-organized Thanksgiving meal that was delivered to hundreds of people in our community, from Jan and Roger Brinkman.
• the after-hours REMC crew that restored house power at 10 p.m. on Thanksgiving Eve.
• the women who made the wonderful fabric rice sacks that go in the microwave to help eliminate pain, and dropped them off at Green Tree.
• The Republic for your great Orchids column because we all love it and look forward to it.
• the local business leaders who spoke at the DACA rally.
• my family for making our Thanksgiving a real good one, with love from a couple of grateful mothers, Lola Edwards and Betty Roll and sister, Wanda.
• Mike Zieles for your letter to the paper in which you set the truth straight regarding health care.
• our daughter, Erin, and our granddaughter, Julie, for preparing and cooking a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner, from Dennis and Wilma.
Onions to …
• the driver who drove the wrong way on the one-way part of 17th Street on Wednesday afternoon.
• the restaurant worker who touched raw chicken with bare hands and then returned to preparing food without washing them, and to the store manager who did nothing about the situation.
• businesses that are open on Thanksgiving Day, preventing employees from spending dinner and time with family and friends.
• people lining up inside a Thanksgiving-day restaurant an hour before they open up.
• people who mistreat and starve their outside dogs by having them on chains with no warm place to sleep.
• officials for not removing the tennis shoes that were thrown over the telephone line on Lafayette Street between Ninth and Tenth streets after being called several times.
Happy Birthday to …
• Harold Pruitt, from Bethel Baptist Church.
• Rebecca Kirsch, from your family, Kelly and Donna.
• Mary Jo Combs, from your family and Donna.
• Patti Hauck, from your family and Donna.
• Ron Greathouse, with love from Vera, Larry, Teresa, Jan, Henley, Retha, Becky, Angel, Shawn, Bridget, Ronnie, Ginny, Dylan and the rest of your family.
• Holly Nienaber on No. 17, from Mom, Dad and Sam.
• Jason Hopkins on No. 11, from Amber Hopkins.
• Ellen Pettit, from your family.
• Janet Clouse, Tori Magner and Lisa McCartney, from friends at the Moravian Church.
• Marley Shepherd.
• Logan Hart.
• Natasha Cowan.
Happy Birthday to …
• Taylor Jessup, from Gram.
• Willow Rynerson, from G.G.
• Tammy Magner, from friends at the Moravian Church.
• Eric Wiseman.
• Todd Boren.
• Alyssa Kinworthy, from Dove Ministries.
Happy Anniversary to …
• John and Sherry Woods, from Larry and Kay.
• ANOTHER beautiful morning