BLACKFOOT, Idaho — Authorities say a man was using his fireplace to heat his home in southeast Idaho when the fire escaped, severely damaging the residence.

The Idaho State Journal reports the electricity and natural gas had been shut off to the Blackfoot home, so the resident was using the fireplace to stay warm on Friday.

Blackfoot Fire Department officials say the man step outside and later noticed his home was on fire. Officials say a burning log somehow rolled out of the fireplace and ignited the living room.

Firefighters had the blaze extinguished in a few minutes, but the fire caused extensive smoke damage throughout the home.

Officials estimate the blaze caused about $30,000 in damages, making the house uninhabitable.


Information from: Idaho State Journal, http://www.journalnet.com

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.