TEMPLE HILLS, Md. — Investigators in a Maryland suburb of Washington say a malfunctioning electrical outlet caused a house fire that killed a woman and her adult son.

A spokesman for Prince George’s County Fire said in a statement Monday that there were no working fire alarms in the Temple Hills house that burned on Nov. 15.

Officials say 83-year-old Louvenia Goldson and her son, 62-year-old Eugene Goldson, who lived in the home, died at a hospital after being removed from the basement of the home.

Anyone who in Prince George’s County needs a working smoke alarm but cannot afford or install one is urged to call 311. A firefighter will install a smoke alarm for free.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.