RENO, Nevada — The Latest on a gunman who opened fire in Reno, Nevada (all times local):
The Las Vegas gunman who killed 58 people in October had previously owned a unit at the Reno high-rise condominium which was the site of an active shooter Tuesday.
Stephen Paddock owned a unit at the Montage but records show he sold the property in December 2016.
Police in Reno say Tuesday’s gunman, who is now dead, fired shots from the eighth-floor onto the street below. Police say there were no reports of injuries.
On Oct. 1, Paddock opened fire from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel and casino onto an outdoor concert below.
Police in Reno, Nevada, say a gunman who fired shots from high-rise condos to the street below is dead.
Deputy Chief Tom Robinson told reporters Tuesday night that the man had died after a SWAT team went to the 8th floor of the Montage and engaged him. It wasn’t immediately clear whether he was killed by police gunfire or his own.
Robinson says the man had a hostage and was firing from a condo in the building down to the street below, but neither the hostage nor anyone else was hurt.
The luxury high-rise is surrounded by some of downtown Reno’s most popular casinos, but the streets were mostly empty when the man was firing.
Authorities say gunshots were going off for at least 20 minutes.
Authorities say someone opened fire at a high-rise building of luxury condominiums in Reno, Nevada, but there are no reports of any injuries.
Reno police tweeted Tuesday night that the suspect has been detained.
Trooper Chris Kelley of the Nevada Highway Patrol tells the Reno Gazette-Journal that shots were heard from the building for at least 20 minutes.
The shots were coming from the Montage, a building in downtown Reno where SWAT teams and news vans have gathered. TV news reporters say they heard several shots fired since arriving.
The building is surrounded by some of the city’s better known casinos and was once a casino itself before it was converted into luxury condos, according to its website.