MOSCOW — Russia’s Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev says he has no intention of suing opposition leader Alexei Navalny as it would only help him win more publicity.

A Navalny YouTube video exposing Medvedev’s alleged collection of mansions, villas and vineyards has gotten over 25 million views since its release in March and helped trigger a series of anti-Kremlin protests this year.

Medvedev, who had earlier dismissed Navalny’s video as “nonsense,” said in a TV interview broadcast Thursday that he hasn’t taken Navalny to court because it would only give the opposition leader “extra advertising.” Medvedev said, “the more you comment on those crooks and cheats, the more you help them.”

He pointed to a Moscow court ruling that requested Navalny withdraw parts of the video to emphasize that his claims are unfounded.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.