MAGNOLIA, Miss. — A Mississippi courthouse received several days of water damage when a heater coil burst just before the Thanksgiving holiday.

The Enterprise-Journal reports that the mishap occurred at the Pike County Chancery Court Annex in Magnolia. Water flowed into a courtroom, some offices, a records vault and witness room.

Employees arrived at work the Monday after Thanksgiving to find at least 1 inch (25 millimeters) of standing water, which apparently had been flowing since the previous Wednesday evening.

County supervisors approved a state of emergency, allowing them to hire a contractor without advertising for bids. Cleanup work has begun.

Chancery Clerk Becky Buie says no records or computers were damaged.


Information from: Enterprise-Journal, http://www.enterprise-journal.com

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.