Orchids to …
• Hotel Indigo for providing an outstanding home base for the Purdue Extension Community Development Team’s retreat last week.
• the cast, crew, musicians and others for the amazing production of Shakespeare’s “As You Like It.”
• Columbus Free Methodist Church for an excellent fellowship meal on Sunday.
• Garland Brook Cemetery staff for the beautiful luminary they coordinated on Sunday.
• Dr. Theodora Saddoris for her Nov. 29 letter to the editor and her ongoing work on the opioid crisis.
• everyone who participated in the luminary event, from the Garland Brook Cemetery staff.
• Mayor Jim Lienhoop for proclaiming Dec. 2 as William F. Marshall Day.
• Great-grandmama Naomi for letting us have our four-generation sleepover, from Cheryl, Andrea and Solomon.
• the person at Kroger on Thursday for returning the billfold, from an 80-year-old.
Onions to …
• semi-trucks and large commercial vehicles bypassing U.S. 31 and the roundabout, using County Road 250E — which is too narrow for large vehicles — between State Street and Southern Crossing as a shortcut to the industrial businesses.
• city officials for the unattractive, expensive riverfront plans, from a fed-up taxpayer.
• the principal who threw a pie at another teacher who was not in the contest, setting a poor example for students.
• the older person who should know better than to sit through two green stoplights texting.
• city officials for wasting taxpayers’ money on the riverfront project, which will be flooded during the rainy season.
• the lack of parenting, manners and courtesy at the Columbus parade when some parents let their kids step on people as they push out into the street, blocking the view for others and standing in front of other children.
• the people who think Columbus has to be in every magazine and on the top 10 list of every survey no matter if it drives the city into bankruptcy.
• the person who brought his gun to the Christmas parade thinking he was making my family safe.
• Congress for its lack of thoughtful and complete deliberation on the latest tax bill.
• the store for not having wipes for shopping carts during flu and cold season.
Happy Birthday to …
• Barb Fivecoat, from your family and Donna.
• Shirley Kreutzjans, from your family, the DeLays and Donna.
• Candace Carr from Joseph Hart Chapter DAR.
• Josh Eisfelder, from Grandma Weddle.
• Breanna McClain, from friends at the Moravian Church.
• Mike Moody, from Aunt Elsie.
• Angel Allman.
• Brooks Meek.
• Brent Berkenstock.
• Caleb Adams.
• Mary Price, from friends at the Moravian Church.
• Wyatt Hoover.
• Susan Blackburn.
• Benjamin Johnson.
• Morgan McKiney.
• Vickie Best, from your friends.
Belated Happy Birthday to …
• Geneva Foster.