RENO, Nev. — Washoe County has confirmed its first two flu-related deaths of the new winter season.

County health district officials in Reno said Thursday both victims were 80 years old and both were at risk for complications of the flu due to underlying medical conditions.

No other details have been released.

Clark County has confirmed one flu-related death so far this season in Las Vegas and surrounding areas. That death reported in mid-November involved a child age four or younger.

Washoe County Health District Officer Kevin Dick says the deaths should serve as a reminder that influenza is a serious virus that can be fatal. He says the best way to avoid the flu is to get immunized with a flu shot.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.