COWETA COUNTY, Ga. — A 91-year-old woman died in a house fire that started Friday morning in the attic of her Georgia home.

Atlanta area news outlets reported that the woman’s 51-year-old grandson, who is legally blind, escaped the blaze in Coweta County. The home was destroyed and a section of U.S. Highway 29 was expected to be closed much of the day during the investigation.

The victim was identified as Ellinor Madrak. Her grandson, Jeff Scott, had minor injuries, a news release from the state insurance commissioner said.

The fire was reported around 3:30 a.m.

“A fire investigator with my office has determined that this fire started in the attic of the home and was caused by an electrical malfunction,” Insurance Commissioner Ralph Hudgens said in the news release.

William Scott told WSB-TV that it was his son, who escaped tried unsuccessfully to get his grandmother out of the house.

The blaze was the state’s 98th fatal fire of the year.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.