From: Michael Greven
The time has come for Congress to censure President Trump. The president’s denigrating remarks about Muslims, Latinos, Mexicans and women are wholly unacceptable and are serving to exacerbate divisions in our country. Recent slanderous and ignorant comments and/or tweets by Trump about my fellow Americans include the following:
1. Retweeting of anti-Muslim videos from the extremist group Britain First in Great Britain. The video content was wholly incorrect as noted by the Dutch government. What was the purpose of retweeting this garbage other than to incite Americans against their American countrymen who practice the Muslim faith? None. Why would our president do such a thing? I think he is mentally unstable. Prime Minister Theresa May condemned Trump’s retweets as inflammatory.
2. Trump’s lack of respect for Mexicans is legendary, and he has also disparaged a fellow Hoosier, U.S District Judge Gonzalo Curiel. “I’ve been treated very unfairly by this judge. Now, this judge is of Mexican heritage. I’m building a wall, OK? I’m building a wall. I am going to do very well with the Hispanics, the Mexicans,” Trump said in an interview with CNN on June 3, explaining his attacks on the judge presiding over the Trump University lawsuit. What purpose do Trump’s attacks on Mexicans serve? The same as his attacks on Muslims, namely to try to divide Americans and turn us against one another based upon heritage and skin color.
3. Trump’s derogatory comments concerning our judiciary, the FBI and the CIA are stunning. Granted each of these government branches could improve, however the FBI is far from being in “tatters” and our judiciary is far from being a “joke” or a “laughing stock.” Americans just like you and I work in those government functions, and they are undeserving of such a slanderous characterization.
4. Trump’s desire to reshape facts is, however, the most disconcerting. He rejects facts on a regular basis, whether it is crowd size, reference to statements he has made that he then denies, insisting that Barack Obama is not American or that the presidential election results were wrong and that millions of illegal immigrants voted for Hillary Clinton. The list goes on and on, and it shows a profound and disturbing ability to reshape “facts” to meet his views, and only his. And as he is glad to remind you, he is right.
5. Trump’s tepid rebuke of white nationalists is reprehensible.
6. His latest comments concerning U.S. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., and her demand that he resign show his complete contempt for any woman who challenges him. Whether or not he resigns is not the issue; it is his continued use of demeaning language and action that require prompt attention.
The Republican-led Congress, including Vice President Mike Pence, must immediately bring this charade to closure and censure the president. Trump is not only dragging down the Republicans, but he is denigrating and destroying the very institutions and values that are the pillars of our democracy. Censure President Donald Trump immediately.