YORK, S.C. — Officials say unattended hot dogs caused a South Carolina house fire that injured two firefighters.

Chief Domenic Manera tells the Herald of Rock Hill that the York Fire Department got a call about a fire at a duplex just after 11 p.m. Tuesday. He says two firefighters were hit with falling debris when the roof of the porch collapsed. Both were treated at hospitals for muscle injuries and released.

Manera says the fire was caused by unattended hot dogs left cooking on a kitchen stove in the rear of the two units of the duplex.

No residents were hurt in the fire, but five people from two families have been displaced. Authorities are still investigating.


Information from: The Herald, http://www.heraldonline.com

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.