Fire damages 23rd Street home, third fire in four years

Columbus firefighters were sent to the first residential fire of 2018 in the 2100 block of 23rd Street, an address that had previous fires in January 2016 and another in March 2014.

Firefighters were sent to 2143 23rd St. at 4:36 a.m. Thursday and found the occupants, three adults and a dog, had evacuated, said Capt. Michael Wilson, Columbus Fire Department spokesman.

Fire was found above a wood-burning stove in the home’s living room and firefighters had it under control in about 20 minutes, Wilson said.

The fire was determined to be accidental, and firefighters noted the home did not have electrical service, Wilson said. The primary heat source for the residence was the wood burning stove.

According to fire department records, the 2014 incident was caused by a space heater. The 2016 and 2018 fires were both attributed to the wood burning stove, Wilson said.

In the 2016 fire, records show the home did not have electric, gas or water service and the occupants said they were using the wood burning stove for heat. Records showed then the house had not had gas service since 2009, according to the fire department.

Due to the amount of unrepaired damage caused by the previous fires, investigators could not determine a damage value for Thursday’s fire, Wilson said.