WESTWOOD, Mass. — Investigators have determined a house fire that killed a Massachusetts man last week was an accident caused by a wood stove.

Forty-seven-year-old Michael Lennon was killed Jan. 10 in the blaze in Westwood.

Authorities say it remains unclear whether the stove failed, an ember escaped or if combustible materials were placed too close to the stove.

State Fire Marshal Peter J. Ostroskey urged people to be careful when heating their homes with wood.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.