JEFFERSON, Ga. — Authorities say a fire that claimed the life of an 80-year-old Georgia man was accidental.

The Athens Banner-Herald quotes Office of Insurance and Safety Commissioner Jay Florence as saying Wednesday’s house fire in which Leroy Johnson died was caused by the improper use of smoking materials.

A spokesman for the department said a neighbor reported the fire after 10 a.m. Wednesday. A Jefferson firefighter found Johnson’s body in a bedroom of the home. Fire investigators believe he had been smoking while in bed.


Information from: Athens Banner-Herald, http://www.onlineathens.com

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.