BATON ROUGE, La. — Officials say a recently retired firefighter walked past a house fire in Louisiana and rescued a child from inside.

Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman Mark Miles said in a news release that the fire that occurred Monday was the result of a faulty refrigerator.

News outlets report residents of the house told responders they were about to leave when they heard a loud noise. Miles says one of the children went to see what the noise was and discovered the fire.

The girl tried to run but fell inside the house. The retired Baton Rouge firefighter spotted the fire, ran inside and rescued the girl.

According to the department, three people live in the house, and no one was injured. Officials say the house received heavy fire and smoke damage.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.