OGDEN, Utah — The Utah Poison Control Center says it has received 14 reports of poisonings this month caused after ingesting laundry detergent pods.
The Standard-Examiner reported Wednesday that some poisoning cases are linked to the “Tide Pod Challenge” social media trend where people post videos of themselves biting down on laundry detergent pods.
Sherrie Pace with Utah Poison Control Center says people can experience “vomiting, wheezing, gasping, breathing problems and feeling sleepy” after ingesting detergent.
According to data, the center saw more than 200 cases involving detergent exposure statewide in 2017.
A majority of the cases from last year involved children.
The National Capital Poison Center says biting into a laundry detergent pod can cause serious injuries or even death.
Information from: Standard-Examiner, http://www.standard.net