BANGOR, Maine — Fire officials in Maine say a tenant attempting to thaw a frozen pipe with an open flame caused a house fire.

Fire crews were called to the scene in Bangor early Saturday morning to find the house full of heavy smoke. Bangor Assistant Fire Chief Matt Costello tells WABI-TV that one of the tenants in the building was attempting to thaw out a frozen pipe with an open flame, and set fire to the basement.

Costello says crews were delayed because the tenant did not immediately call 911, instead attempting to extinguish the fire himself.

Costello says the fire was contained in about an hour, and two firefighters suffered minor injuries. Officials urge people not to use an open flame to thaw pipes.


Information from: WABI-TV, http://www.wabi.tv

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.