NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. — Police say no charges will be filed against a man who shot and killed a 15-year-old boy in South Carolina over a stolen car.

North Charleston police spokesman Spencer Pryor said Monday that Derrick Grant did not have a gun when he was shot Jan. 17.

The 24-year-old man who shot Grant had reported that his girlfriend’s car had been stolen Jan. 16.

The man told police the car showed up in their neighborhood the next day with the teen inside. The man said the teen appeared to be reaching for something and the man fired. Grant died at the scene.

Police consulted with state prosecutors before deciding against charging the man. State law allows people to use deadly force if they reasonably fear an imminent threat of serious injury.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.