Orchids to …
• the county commissioners for working with the county council and Veterans Service Office to purchase the passenger van to transport veterans.
• soon-to-retire Dr. Anita F. Conte, CRH oncologist, who has added years to many lives with her special care and hard work, from patient Lawrence L. Isbell
• the president for a unifying speech putting Americans first because we are all dreamers.
• the Cheek family for being angels.
• the city administration and Fred Barnett for demolition of the Ninth Street home.
• Columbus Baptist Church for the food giveaway and meal Friday evening.
• Driver of BCSC Bus No. 155 for ensuring that dad was home prior to allowing a student off the bus Tuesday afternoon in Northbrook Addition, from grateful families.
• David Jones for his letter to the editor about local officials who rule us rather than serve us.
• The Salvation Army for serving lunch and dinner to emergency responders at the downtown fire last week.
• the person who paid for my lunch Tuesday afternoon at Chili’s.
• Deshawn, who works at Johnny Carino’s, for being one of the most efficient servers we’ve ever had and for making our evening a pleasure, from the Coffeys.
• David Jones for his letter about how those of us who disagree with local officials are silenced and vilified.
Onions to …
• parents who send their students to school knowing they are sick.
• the Bartholomew County Health Department who will not give walk-in flu vaccines and offers the next available appointment two weeks in the future.
• those who did not stand to recognize progress in tax reform, the national anthem, God, veterans healthcare, infrastructure, etc.
• authorities who give children back to drug-addicted parents in hopes that they will change, from a concerned family.
• the black vehicle that ran the stop sign at Parkside and Arlington on Tuesday.
• the company that treats lower-level employees poorly.
• coworkers who play on their phone and talk all day instead of working.
• whoever stole my gargoyle yard ornament from the side of my house.
• the city that only sends the street sweeper down Fall Valley Drive one time.
• people with non-service animals in grocery carts.
• the two women in the accounting department who refuse to cover their mouths when they cough, infecting all of their coworkers with whatever ailment they have.
• state Senate Republicans for not even allowing a vote on hate-crimes legislation.
Happy Birthday to …
• Mary Scheidt, from friends at the Moravian Church.
• Noel Knifley, from friends at the Moravian Church.
• Hope Bailey.
• Nicole Vontrager.
• Barbara Hjelter.
Happy Anniversary to …
• Chris Lazzell on No. 33, from Bill.