SPRINGFIELD, Ore. — Fire officials say a heat lamp used to keep baby chicks warm sparked a house fire in Springfield.

The Eugene Springfield Fire Department says the man who lived at the house returned home Saturday evening to find a dresser and wall in flames and the house filled with smoke. The man partially put the fire out with a garden hose before firefighters arrived.

Fire spokesman Lance Lighty says the owners had brought the baby chicks and heat lamp indoors for the day to keep them safe.

Lighty says people should not use heat lamps indoors or near things that can combust.

The fire caused an estimated $20,000 in heat and smoke damages.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.