PORTSMOUTH, R.I. — The cause of a fire that destroyed or damaged several waterfront homes in Portsmouth and left one person dead is still unknown.

Chief Deputy State Fire Marshal John Dean tells WPRI-TV that the investigation into the fire early Wednesday is complete, but the damage was so bad they have been unable to determine what caused it.

Dean says they did determine the fire started at 179 Narragansett Blvd. before spreading.

Officials previously said two homes were destroyed while a third was so severely damaged it will have to be torn down. A fourth home that appeared to be under renovation suffered lighter damage.

Dean says the three worst damaged homes are too unstable to continue any investigation.

The person who was found dead has not yet been identified.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.