BOSTON — A Boston woman says she wants to warn fellow dog owners about the dangers of possible electrocution.

Mary Beth Begley tells WHDH-TV that her dog, Bob, was recently electrocuted and killed by a stray voltage under Southampton Street. The woman says she and her dog were approaching a light control box when Bob suddenly collapsed.

Boston Public Works says the stray voltage issue was caused by a corroded grounding lug. Begley says she was told that de-icing materials used during the winter can deteriorate or corrode wiring.

A man reported that his two dogs were electrocuted two months ago when they stepped on a manhole cover near the Adams Street Bridge.

Public works spokesman Chris Coakley says the department is saddened by the incident and has made the area safe.


Information from: WHDH-TV, http://www1.whdh.com

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.