LEXINGTON, S.C. — South Carolina authorities say that eight people have escaped injuries but need a place to stay after their mobile home caught fire.

Lexington County officials say on Twitter that the fire Sunday morning displaced five adults and three children. Officials said there were no injuries.

Firefighters arrived on the scene in a residential area southwest of Columbia to find smoke billowing out of a window.

Authorities believe the fire started with electrical issues or a space heater. The damage was largely contained to one room.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.