ROCKVILLE, Md. — Firefighters say a blaze at a decades-old Maryland tavern in a Washington, D.C. suburb has caused damage costing roughly $500,000.

Pete Piringer with Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service tells WTTG-TV it appears the flames at Hank Dietle’s Tavern in Rockville were caused accidentally. Dozens of firefighters worked several hours overnight to control the blaze after it had been reported early Wednesday.

Hank Dietle’s opened in the 1950s after a fire destroyed the establishment that preceded it at the same location. The tavern featured live music and drinks.

Piringer says discarded smoking materials likely started the fire.


Information from: WTTG-TV, http://www.myfoxdc.com

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.