LAGOS, Nigeria — Nigeria’s government says it has set up a panel to investigate the abduction of 110 girls from their school last week by suspected members of the extremist Boko Haram group.
Information and Culture Minister Lai Mohammed said Tuesday that a major-general will head the panel of Nigerian security agencies that will examine what security was in place at the school and in its northern town, Dapchi in Yobe State, before the attack.
The military had withdrawn from Dapchi weeks before the Feb. 19 attack, saying its troops were needed elsewhere and claiming that security was handed over to police.
Police deny that, saying the military never entrusted security to it.
Nigeria also said the girls missing from the Government Girls Science and Technical College range from 11 to 19.