BUFFALO, N.Y. — Cornerback Vontae Davis says the opportunity to play in a talented young secondary is what eventually drew him to sign a one-year contract with the Buffalo Bills.

Davis also says he’s put behind last year’s dispute with former Colts coach Chuck Pagano that eventually led to Indianapolis cutting him in early November. The 29-year-old Davis called it “one of those unfortunate situations,” and is focused on moving forward.

He spoke during a conference call Friday, three days after signing with Buffalo.

Davis referred to the Bills as being “a perfect fit.” The nine-year NFL veteran called it “intriguing” to join a secondary made up of safeties Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer and cornerback Tre’Davious White, a Defensive Rookie of the Year contender last season.

Hyde and Poyer had five interceptions each, and White four as Buffalo finished tied for sixth in the NFL with 18 interceptions.

Davis’ five-plus-season tenure with the Colts ended after he publicly complained about how the team handled his demotion to a backup role. Pagano said the decision wasn’t injury related. Davis disputed that by saying his drop in production was directly linked to a groin tear that occurred during a preseason game.

Davis elected to have surgery after he was cut.

He says he was cleared to resume working out two weeks ago, but isn’t sure if he’ll be able to fully participate once the Bills start practicing in May.

The Bills have a need at cornerback with starter E.J. Gaines and backups Leonard Johnson and Shareece Wright all set to become free agents in two weeks.

Davis entered the NFL as a first-round pick of the Miami Dolphins before being traded to the Colts for a second-round pick in 2012. He has started 113 of 120 games, with 342 tackles, 97 passes defensed and 22 interceptions.

For more NFL coverage: http://www.pro32.ap.org and http://www.twitter.com/AP_NFL