MILLEDGEVILLE, Ga. — A man has died in a Georgia house fire that the Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner’s Office says was caused by “the misuse of smoking material.”

Forty-three-year-old Lamonte Hargrove died in a Sunday morning fire that started in the bedroom of a singlewide mobile home.

An agency news release says the Milledgeville house fire has been ruled accidental. It says Hargrove’s death is Georgia’s 29th fire fatality this year.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.