DETROIT — The Latest on the exoneration of Richard Phillips, a Detroit man who spent 45 years in prison (all times local):
A Detroit man exonerated of murder after 45 years in prison says the justice system works — “it just didn’t work fast enough.”
Richard Phillips won’t face a second trial. His conviction was overturned last year based on new evidence from a co-defendant at the 1972 trial. Prosecutor Kym Worthy says an additional investigation shows Phillips had no role in a 1971 fatal shooting.
Phillips had been free on bond since December and likely will qualify for more than $2 million under Michigan’s wrongful conviction law.
He’s very upbeat. Phillips says he’s “not a bitter man” because he’s “never carried bitterness.”
Judge Kevin Cox says the 71-year-old Phillips has seen the “worst and the best of the criminal justice system.”
A Michigan man whose murder conviction was thrown out after he spent 45 years in prison will not face a second trial.
Prosecutor Kym Worthy said Wednesday that she’s dropping the case against Richard Phillips. She says he was the victim of false testimony by a key witness.
Worthy says what happened to Phillips “was not justice at all.”
Phillips’ murder conviction was thrown out last summer and he’s been free since December. He’ll likely be eligible for more than $2 million under Michigan’s wrongful conviction law.
Phillips has long maintained that he had nothing to do with the 1971 fatal shooting of Gregory Harris. In 2014, the Innocence Clinic at University of Michigan law school learned that a co-defendant said Phillips played absolutely no role in the killing.